Saturday, December 5, 2015

Saber sniffs: UKC Novice Nosework titles!

*Sniff sniff*... what's that I smell? You're back to read about more of my adventures in nosework! So happy to see you! Please leave the cheese, steak, and bacon in the basket by the door and I will tell you the story of a Shepherd who taught her Mom to let her sniff.

I have a long history of Obedience-trial sniffing which I had perfected and also employed in the Rally ring, but in training Mom was always telling me "no sniff!" As obedient as I usually am, I persisted in the sniffing because there was a bigger lesson to be learned here. Mom needed to understand that sniffing is one of my best skills! Eventually, I think the idea clicked because Mom quit doing Obedience for a long time and started me in Nosework! It was a dream come true. You can read more about it by clicking on the "Nosework" link over to the right, and you can see how I excelled in Obedience and Rally after I began Nosework by clicking the Obedience link.

Anyway, we've been continuing on with the nosework practices, sometimes indoors with boxes...


sometimes outside in the desert...


or with outdoor furniture.


I've been doing so well finding all the scents, Mom entered me in a UKC Nosework trial up near Seattle in October. I was entered in four Element trials. On Day 1, I did a Container search and an Exterior search. Containers is pretty straightforward with a lot of boxes and only one of them has scent. I found that easily. Up the row and back down, and then I laid down at the scent.

UKC novice containers trial search


Next was the Exterior search. It was raining, cold, and windy. In fact, we heard it was record rainfall for the area and gusts of 45 miles per hour! I do not enjoy rain, and do not generally search in the rain, but when Mom said "search" in the Exterior area, I went right to work! There were some great, smelly bushes, a large children's toy, a table and chairs, and random stuff on the ground. I sniffed all around and then found the scent right under the corner or this black metal thing on the ground!

UKC novice exterior search nosework trial

When Mom said "Alert!" and the judge said "yes," I got treats! I was so happy that I pranced around wagging my tail in the rain! Nosework is great fun.

The next day, we came back for an Interior search and a Vehicles search. The Interior search was very interesting! It was a small room full of lots of things: a table and chair, a file cabinet with a TV on top, and a large exercise machine, among other things (no pictures were allowed of this search, because it was a small room). There were so many good smells in there! I sniffed each thing carefully and then went over to the trash can in the corner and stuck my head in. There was a delicious-looking Kleenex in there, but Mom trusted me not to eat it and did not pull me away. I heard that lots of other people pulled their dogs away when they put their heads in the trash. Not sure why... trash cans are always a great find! But I pulled my head out of the trash myself and went on with my search for a few more seconds. Then I went back to the trash can, put my nose on the edge of it, and laid down. Mom called alert! and yes, the scent was there on the trash can! Victory for this nose.

Next, I got to do a Vehicles search. This is one of my favorite things because we hardly ever do it in practice! There were three cars parked in a row. I quickly sniffed around and found the scent on the front of the last vehicle, in the edge of a little round fog light. Mom said "Alert!" and I was right again! Treats rained down form heaven and I was one happy puppy!

UKC novice vehicles search nosework trial

In the end I passed all four Elements and also got a 4th place ribbon in Vehicles with a time of 22.22 seconds.


Since I was such a success at my first trial, Mom went ahead and entered me in another one just a month later! So a couple of weeks ago we traveled north again, where I found this sign. Smells like chicken.


This time it was not rainy, but was rather cold and frosty. But freezing weather could not deter this Shepherd from succeeding. Again Mom entered me in four Element trials. These trials were held at a dog training facility, so it was very different from the last one (which was in an office building). There were so many great dog smells! The Containers search was in a large room with some agility equipment in a corner. There was a long row of boxes, but when Mom said "Search" I ran past most of the boxes to the end of the row. Do you know what was near the end of the row, in the corner of the room? Two large dogs on top of a pile of mats! One looked like a yellow lab and the other was a smaller dog of some sort. So I hit the end of the row of boxes and watched those dogs carefully to see if they were going to approach, interfere, or leap off the mats onto my Mother. They did not move, and I was able to discern that they were in fact fake, stuffed toy dogs. And, they were staring unblinkingly. The nerve. Anyway, I went back to the row of boxes, mulling over the strangeness of the situation, got to the end of the row and Mom once again reminded me to "Search" so I put those dogs out of my mind and got to work. I laid down at the correct box and passed Containers for a second time, earning my Novice Containers title!

Next, we did our Exterior search. This was outside at the edge of a parking lot, but when I got there I saw there was a vast field of bunnies (assuming the wildlife) right behind us! I tried very hard to get Mom to let me run over there and lure course, but she made me stay in the parking lot. That's okay, though. I love sniffing as much as I love chasing. So this search had a wheelbarrow, a bench and chair, a kids' toy, some kids' chairs and other things. I went for the grass at first, but then started sniffing all the things in the search area. I found the scent on one of the childrens' chairs and let my Mom know it was there. She said "Alert!" and of course the judge said yes. Another successful search, and another new title: Novice Exterior!

The next day we came back and it was even colder. I spent a lot of my free time sniffing frozen grass and waiting in the car, but when we went inside for the Interior search I was very surprised. This search was in the same room that the Containers search was in, with those two dogs still staring in the corner. Even more shocking was when my Mom pointed to four plastic dog crates in the search area and told me to "Search!" I'm sorry, but looking into someone else's dog crate is VERY RUDE behavior, which I detest when I am resting in my crate. Mom always told me not to stare or sniff at another dog's crate, so I slowly crept towards the front of the first crate and peeked in to be sure there was no occupant. Finding the crate empty, I relaxed and began my search. There were, I think, four dog crates in the search area along with some other things, a door, and that stack of used mats with the fake dogs on top. I had a great time smelling those crates for awhile (doggy smells!), but then I went over to the mats, smelled the scent at the edge, and laid down to alert my find. Right again! This finished my Novice Interior title!

Finally it was time for the Vehicle search. I ran out and sniffed the row of cars, then back again and laid down on the frosty ground with my nose at the center bottom of one car's licence plate where the scent was (it was behind the plate). Mom gave me great rewards, and I got a Novice Vehicles title!

Passing all four Elements again completed my UKC Novice Nosework title. I got lots of ribbons at this trial! But no bacon, what the heck?

UKC novice nosework titles

I finished my Novice titles with zero faults! Mom was very proud of me and gave me plenty of yummy treats and took me to the dog park to play Frisbee, so that was almost as good as bacon. I think in the spring we are going to trial in UKC Advanced, so stay tuned for more sniffing adventures!

No comments:

Post a Comment